Thread: SUB 4 SUB

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SUB 4 SUB

Hi Folks:

Did anyone use SUB 4 SUB on their channel? I've never tried anything like that ... but it seems to be effective in expanding the number of subscriptions ... and from what I can tell, some of them actually become good viewers.

What is your view on SUB 4 SUB ... love to hear from the whistler on this ...

/\/\/\/\ the Shamus /\/\/\/\

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, here's my take on sub 4 sub. First for anybody who isn't familiar enough with YouTube to know what that is, it's when someone agrees to subscribe to your channel in exchange for you subscribing to theirs.

I have found it to be almost completely worthless. A big waste of time. Here are the reasons why:

1. Lots of people will sub you and then unsubscribe a day or two later, after they see you've subscribed to them.

2. Most of those who do it are only looking to increase their subscriber count, and aren't really interested in checking out other peoples' content (videos). If you're lucky, they might, but most often they might watch one video and may not ever watch again.

3. If someone does remain subscribed to you after the initial Sub 4 Sub transaction, your videos will be BURIED in their feed amongst hundreds or possibly thousands of other channels they have subscribed to with no intention of ever watching, but simply to get more subscriptions.

4. This is the most important point of all: Subscribers who do not watch your videos do not benefit you one bit. Because the number of views you get is what matters, not the number of people subscribed. Having lots of subscribers can certainly help your views, but only if those subscribers watch your videos at least once in a while. And in my experience, with sub 4 sub users, that's almost never.

Here's what I tell people who ask me to Sub4Sub: "Thanks, but I don't do sub 4 sub. I don't even have time to watch all my subscriptions now and need to cut some out. I'll check out your videos and if I like them, I might subscribe, but if I don't, it's nothing personal. Thanks."

Now that's just me. Maybe other people have had different experiences with it, but in the 5 years I've been on the Tube I've found it pretty worthless overall.

I can think of two exceptions when you might want to do it:

1. When you're a brand new channel and no one knows about you and you have almost no subs. It can be a good way to build some viewership. You might have to go through 20 or 30 to find one that likes and watches your videos, but when you have no viewers, the effort can be worth it just to get started. And,

2. When you find a channel that does the same kind of content you do. Like other slot players. Although if your first video is decent, then all you should need to do is post it on the Forum here, say "Hey guys, I just made my first video! Check it out," and you'll get most of the slot players subscribing anyway, and you'll end up subscribing to theirs too, without having to even bother with a Sub4Sub agreement.

For people with channels dealing with other topics besides slots, like if I had a channel about rock climbing, and I came across a channel like mine, then I would send them a message saying, "Hey, I just subscribed! Great channel! I love to climb too; when you have a few minutes, would you check out my channel and consider subscribing? (Only if you like my videos!) Thanks! And keep up the great vids!" (Notice I still don't phrase it as Sub4Sub because I just hate that shit personally. LOL)

The best kind of subscribers to have are people who watch your videos, and usually that kind of subscriber is someone who subscribed because they like your videos and for no other reason.

So that's my take on it, Shamus. I hope this is helpful...
    If I ever win a huge progressive, I will quit gambling.

...For a few hours.

My crazy whistling videos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dave hit it pretty square on the head. The only addition that I would make is that sometimes people are apprehensive in subscribing to a brand new channel. In this regard, sometimes a sub4sub up to around 100 subscribers can be beneficial because it gives you street cred. Even though most of those people will never watch the videos, it can make them less concerned about subscribing to a small channel.
    Gamblers Network Website: slot videos
    Gamblers Network On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/GamblersNetwork
    23 Slot Machine Partner Channels. 67,000+ subscribers. 3.0+Million views per month.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi WhistlinDave:

That's great information. Thanks very much.

You had a real expansion phase for your SUBS ... would that have been some of the contests you were involved with a few years back?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shamus View Post
    Hi WhistlinDave:

That's great information. Thanks very much.

You had a real expansion phase for your SUBS ... would that have been some of the contests you were involved with a few years back?

No, the big bumps I got in my subs came from being featured on much larger channels. Nalts (one of the original "big" YouTube stars) started using a couple of my songs in his videos and gave me a shout out, and ericsurf6 let me do a whistling intro for one of his videos, and I got a ton of subscribers from that one.

Also I was put into the "recommended channels" for a few weeks by a guitar player named LaiYouttitham who has huge viewership. I got several hundred subs out of that one, but very few of them ever ended up watching my videos. It helped my "street cred" though tremendously, as VOD said above, because he got me up above 1,000 subs before taking me out of the box.

People on YouTube are somewhat sheep-like. If you already have a lot of subs, they're much more likely to subscribe. ("Well, I must not be the only crazy one around here!") But if you only have a few, they're much more likely not to.

Prior to any of those, I got a good healthy boost out of this video:

This was a guitar solo competition on YouTube hosted by a guitar player with a ton of subscribers, PetrucciFever. I submitted my video just for fun, and even though I was automatically disqualified from the competition (because it was for guitar players only, and that was stated in the rules), the judges liked my whistling solo so much they featured me at the end of the "Winners" video where they named the winners and played all three of their winning solos. They played my solo while the end credits were rolling. I got a lot of viewers out of that one. (I actually think that event was my first big boost in subscriber base.)

Those are the only big "boosts" I can remember. Being in the YouTube NextUp competition didn't do jack shit for me. (I keep forgetting, are we allowed to cuss here? I need to ask Deb.)

Hope that helps -- You just need to get in good with some guitar players, Shamus! LOL (Sorry, probably not much help at all for a slots channel.)
    If I ever win a huge progressive, I will quit gambling.

...For a few hours.

My crazy whistling videos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just want to add that I agree with Dave too. The only sub for sub that might work is if it is a gaming related or slot related channel. But even then, the best subs are going to come from people finding your channel the old fashion way - liking what they see and wanting to see more.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mr. Proxima is right. We need to promote each other, rather than look outside our category for help. Getting everyone together to execute such a thing, on the other hand...