Thread: Craps etiquette

Dougray2

Craps etiquette

For those new to craps, here are a few tips to help you get started.

1. When you first come to the table, you will need to buy chips. All table games use chips, not cash. To buy in, lay your money down in the middle of the table and say "change please." As Ron said in the other thread, wait until the dice are in the center of the layout.

2. You don't have to roll the dice, but that's part of the fun. When you are shooting, make sure the dice travel to the other end of the table and hit the wall.

3. Don't say the number 7 while at the table. People who don't play craps think 7 is a good number, but most of the time, it isn't. It does win on the come out, but to win lots of money, you want the 7 to stay away. You can refer to 7 as big red or the devil.

4. You can make pass line, come bets, odds bet on pass line, and field bets yourself. If you want to make other bets, like place bets, the dealer has to make the bet for you. Just put your chips in the come area and tell the dealer what you want, "12 dollar 8". If you don't have the exact change, the dealer will give you change back in chips.

5. When you are ready to leave the table, ask the dealer to color you up. if you have lots of red and white chips, the dealer and the boxperson will count your chips and give you bigger chip denominations to take to the cashier.

6. Tip the dealers occasionally, especially if you are winning. Some people like to make a bet for the dealers, but I will usually just give them a chip and if they choose to place a bet, it's their money on the line.

That's all I can think of right now. If anyone wants to add anything, please feel free.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would say wait until the new shooter, or at least wait until the current shooter makes their point.

If you absolutely have to buy in, see if you can buy chips from the person next to you so as to not disturb the shooter.

Also, don't touch or yell at the shooter. (even if your intent is to encourage them, etc.)

Dougray2
    That's a good one Pookyy. Don't distract the shooter while the dice are in his or her hands. Usually I buy in first but don't make a bet until the shooter either makes the point or 7s out.

NYphinix
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookkyy View Post
    I would say wait until the new shooter, or at least wait until the current shooter makes their point.

If you absolutely have to buy in, see if you can buy chips from the person next to you so as to not disturb the shooter.

Also, don't touch or yell at the shooter. (even if your intent is to encourage them, etc.)
    Very good point Pookkyy...I will come up to a table and if they're in the middle of trying to make the point, I will sit back and wait for one or the other to happen but at least you will have reserved your spot on the table by standing in that spot...craps players are REAL superstitious people....I hate when the dice hit the chips on the other end...always seem to end with a "7 OUT"!

Also, when shooting, always pick up the dice with one hand and don't try to transfer the dice to the other hand once you've picked them up...right Ken? LOL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you're playing from the dark side (the don't bets, otherwise betting against the majority of the table) don't cheer when you win.

If you're male, and it is your first time playing, don't let anyone know. That's considered bad luck. But if you're female, then sometimes that is considered good luck.

Dougray2
    Thanks Rob and Uncle Coaster. I meant to mention that you can only use 1 hand to shoot, and they are very strict with that rule. Female shooters tend to be lucky, especially virgin shooters.
    Last edited by Dougray2; 10-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WHAT I KNOW....

The math behind the game is proven; it makes no difference what happens between the rolls, how the shooter rolls, who hollers, or who breaks any of the "rules" listed here now or added later. The roll will be random unless the shooter is cheating (sliding the dice, using loaded dice, etc.). Even so-called "dice setters" have not proven that their craft really works.

HOW I FEEL...

The dice are ALWAYS going to come up a "7" when people bug the shooter, if the dealers hassle the shooter, if the dice go off the table, if the dice bounce in a weird manner, if someone buys in when they shouldn't, if someone says that word (S*V*N) while we are trying to hit a point, if the dice hit a pile of chips or a hand, or for many other reasons. Please don't do those things!!
    Last edited by RonC; 10-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you for the advice. That is awesome. Like what you are posting by the way. Keep it up