Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thoughts and Prayers for Our Cat, Please!

Greetings, friends.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a break for a while. I'm already on and off when it comes to participation in this forum, as evidenced by threads I start but never complete. I received some distressing news that could potentially suspend my slot activities indefinitely.

Our cat, Apalla, has been diagnosed with chronic degenerative kidney disease. Quoting from my husband's latest Facebook entry...

At the moment, Apalla is still her happy, social, energetic, and affectionate self, and does not appear to be in any physical distress. Along with the vet, Marc and I are committed to doing whatever we can to keep her feeling as happy, comfortable, and symptom-free for as long as we can. This includes putting her on a 'kidney-friendly' diet and other things. However, the disease will progress and ultimately it will overtake her. The vet said most cats in this condition live between 6 months and 2 years upon being diagnosed.

I adopted Apalla in Iowa City on February 23, 2005, when I was a second-year graduate student. She has been my constant companion for over 10 years. Through many ups and downs personally and professionally, through many lonely years, she was always by my side. She sat on my lap when I was writing my dissertation, rode in the car with me and all of my belongings on the 28-hour drive to Sacramento seven years ago, and instantly took a liking to Marc. Like a dog, she greeted me at the door everyday when I came home from class/work with excited meows, and was especially happy to see me when I returned home from my countless plane trips over the years. I adore her, and this news is absolutely devastating to me. Devastating beyond words. Anyone that has formed a special bond with an animal will know how I feel. Please keep Apalla in your thoughts.

ImageUploadedBySlot Fanatics1430882788.370481.jpg

Like he said, we are committed to Apalla's well-being. Some people might just say "she's just a cat," but she's a very special part of our family. While I've only been with her for almost 3 years, Brian has been with her for more than a decade. She's literally like a daughter to him. As you can imagine, we're going through a tough time. Please keep us in your thoughts. A prayer wouldn't hurt, either.

I'll try not to be a stranger! Until next time I post...

> Marc
    Last edited by MJLdynamo; 05-05-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Formatting
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

For all inquiries, click here!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Furry family members are not "just a cat" or "just a dog"; they are part of your family; if some people don't understand that, screw 'em. So sorry to hear this, we also have a feline family member and she loves us unconditionally as we do her - even when we are cleaning up her yak attacks. She is a Norweigian Forrest Cat and has hair that goes on foooorrrreever !! Took her a bit to get used to the electric groomer/shaver, but she is so much more comfortable in the summer without all that hair; it goes from about 3-4" long down to about 1-2" and it grows back out over the winter months.

Enjoy your time with her and when she goes over the Rainbow Bridge, know you did everything you could to make her days special.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So many people say they're not cat lovers and I say you've just never understood them.. They are magnificent animals and have incredible
    love to give.. Our cat Whiskers died over 6 years ago and I still miss her every day.. she loved barbeque potatoe chips, played fetch better
    than most dogs, and taught herself (I swear on a stack of bibles!) how to use her right front paw to flick a rubber band up into the air which
    she enjoyed immensely!
    Prayers and positive thoughts go out to you and DH.. enjoy all your moments together with your furry family member.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am very sorry to hear about your cat's illness. My brother's cat had the same thing, she lived almost 2 years with the illness.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sad news, but be strong.
    Looking for a particular club? Try the Club Thread Thread: http://slotfanatics.com/showthread.p...-Thread-Thread

"There is a tide in the affairs of men. . . On such a full sea are we now afloat." - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What a wonderful companion she has been over the years ~ that ever-amazing unconditional love only a pet can offer. I send you prayers for strength.
    Home is where the heart is but any spare change I find goes in the Vegas Fund!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Marc, do your best and give her the life she is meant to live.
    It's abundantly clear she gets much much LOVE!
    I will ask the Great Feline to watch over her.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thinking of you and your fur baby. I would give one of my kidneys to any one of my 3 cats

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hope your kitty gets better! Such pretty eyes!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pets are part of the family! I hope Apalla will be happy and pain free for whatever time she has left. Sending my thoughts and prayers your way!!