Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Central Minnesota..... 30 miles north of minneapolis
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuda View Post
    Steph,
    Yes, I used to bowl too. I was pretty good at it years ago. My average was around 260 to 270. I always wanted to bowl a prefect score of 300 but the closet I got was a 288. That happened on a bowling tournament. My dad and I used to bowl together in tournaments and we were on a father daughter bowling team. Years ago the bowling alley let you bowl for money. They had colored pins and if you got a strike with the colored pins you won money. My dad was an excellent bowler and he won quite a bit hitting the colored pins. I think the same bowling alley still has the colored pin bowling on some weekends. I am not 100% sure on that. Of course with the virus the bowling alleys are no longer open. I have not bowled in years. I am not sure I could bowl very well anymore. I may have to give it a try again after they reopen.
    As far as the depression glass we never used it. It is so nice we had a china cabinet that we displayed it in. It is a very pretty collection. My house is so small I will have to figure out a way to display it in the future.
    Bettinman,
    I agree no one here is a stranger. I consider all of you my friends. I hope we all can get back to regular life really soon.
    Like father, like daughter!!! I think my best score in bowling was about a 135... and despite my lack of ability to move past that score, I still love bowling!! You and Andy.... well... let's just say that with scores like that... even having not bowled for years, I am guessing it would be like riding a bike....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was bowler. Started bowling when I was dating my wife. Being in the Tropics then, and air-con was just starting to get popular, bowling centers was literally the coolest place to bring a date without spending a lot of money which we don't have. We bowl league 3 times a week. Later we got married and when she got pregnant, she stopped but I carried on. I participates in international tournaments in S.E. Asia and have a ABC average of 188. Which was very good for amateurs, considering US Pro Bowlers was only averaging 190 then. We emigrated to Canada and continued bowling in leagues 2 times a week with practice on weekends. Now bowling balls gets really expensive when they introduce urethane,proactive urethane, reactive urethane. from C$20 for the plastic to C$400. ea. Stopped bowling 10 years ago after knee replacement. My best year average was 225 before my knee trouble. 6 perfect games, 3 in tournaments. Countless 290+, 10 strikes in a row.
    Thanks this thread to bring back memories.

Thuray

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuda View Post
    Steph,
    Yes, I used to bowl too. I was pretty good at it years ago. My average was around 260 to 270. I always wanted to bowl a prefect score of 300 but the closet I got was a 288. That happened on a bowling tournament. My dad and I used to bowl together in tournaments and we were on a father daughter bowling team. Years ago the bowling alley let you bowl for money. They had colored pins and if you got a strike with the colored pins you won money. My dad was an excellent bowler and he won quite a bit hitting the colored pins. I think the same bowling alley still has the colored pin bowling on some weekends. I am not 100% sure on that. Of course with the virus the bowling alleys are no longer open. I have not bowled in years. I am not sure I could bowl very well anymore. I may have to give it a try again after they reopen.
    As far as the depression glass we never used it. It is so nice we had a china cabinet that we displayed it in. It is a very pretty collection. My house is so small I will have to figure out a way to display it in the future.
    Bettinman,
    I agree no one here is a stranger. I consider all of you my friends. I hope we all can get back to regular life really soon.

Is that a typo? A 260 to 270 average would make you a pro. They don't even average that. If it is true then that is amazing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After I posted that average you are right. That average is way to high. I think my average was closer to 190. I know it was over 180 but it has been years and years since i have bowled. I do know my highest score was 288. That I am positive. My dad had a very high average score but I can't remember what it was. He did bowl a perfect score of 300 once. I was there to see it and it was very exciting to watch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thuray,
    Great story about your bowling. Sorry you had to quit. I have always wanted to bowl just one perfect game but my highest to date was 288. My dad did bowl a perfect score one time. It is great you have bowled 3 perfect scores. I bet that was very exciting to watch especially in tournaments.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettin Man View Post
    What a wonderful story to share with us. Thank you.

You and I grew up about the same time with similar experiences and memories. My great grandparents had owned quite a bit of property with a small lake on it, back in the early 1900's. For many years they made a comfortable living in the Ice Business. Many reading this would say What ? Ice ?
    Most have never heard the term, " Ice Box ", but back then that was the only form of refrigeration. Large blocks of Ice resting over the top of a closed cabinet to keep perishables from spoiling. All winter long they would cut blocks of Ice out of the lake and store them in a well insulated building for delivery the rest of the year. Early on it was delivered door to door from a Horse drawn Cart. My Grandfather took it over when my Great Grandparents passed on, and my Dad worked there as well until he enlisted in WW11.
    After the War an invention called the " Refrigerator " was a necessity for everyone and put an end to the Ice Business. My parents purchased my Grandfathers house on the lake and that's where I grew up with my brother. There were abandoned open pit mines miles away from us that had flooded and were teaming with all sorts of fresh water fish which we all spent a lot of time catching and transporting to our lake for neighborhood recreational fishing, and it became a very popular area on the weekends for family picnics.
    We eventually opened a small stand serving sandwiches, burgers, fries, ice cream, and cold drinks on weekends for the locals.
    As you said, it was a wonderful time to be alive, everyone knew everyone else, and it was like one big family. As Kuda said, no one locked their doors, and always left their car keys in the ignition. We had a Milk Man who came right up and left it on your porch or front steps, and a local grocery store who did the same thing on deliveries and always said, " You can settle up when you get paid "... Try that today, and you would be at the Mercy of " Porch Pirates "..
    I think back often to those days, an am deeply saddened that our kids and grandchildren will never know those kind of times.
    Andy, here is my maternal great grandfather carrying in the ice on Parkside Ave in Buffalo. 1917.
    Stay well. Everyone! Good thread.
    PS: I once bowled a 14. Really!

Last edited by thelma; 04-01-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelma View Post
    Andy, here is my maternal great grandfather carrying in the ice on Parkside Ave in Buffalo. 1917.

Thank you, Thelma, that was priceless......

Central Minnesota..... 30 miles north of minneapolis
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelma View Post

THELMA.... WAY cool!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Wow...