Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bethlehem, Pa.
    Posts
    1,459
    Likes (Given)
    2443
    Likes (Received)
    2453
    Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    I can so relate, Andy!! I needed a job when I was young. I started working at 14 years old... a state program for "poor kids". My parents had divorced, and if I wanted anything like a pair of shoes, I had to pay for them myself. I raked our city park, painted all of the parking meters on main street, and sat in the city hall with grumpy older women tallying the liquor store receipts, and worked at the DNR crawling up the tower to look for smoke in the distance.

    At 15, I was skating along... literally... bringing trays that hung on the windows of cars filled with frosty mugs of A & W Rootbeer, and burgers and fries. It was there that I met my husband.... I knew he "liked" me because a large root beer was 15 cents, and he would always leave me a 25 cent tip.

    AT 16, I would go DAILY... honest... every day after school, I walked into the Anderson Drug store in our town and would ask Mr. Anderson if he was hiring today. After 6 weeks of persistence, he looked at me and said... "Young Lady.... I am going to hire you because anyone who is willing to do what you have certainly desires to work". I worked worked there all through high school... scooping ice cream at the soda fountain, and ringing up sales at the front register.

    My father owned and operated a gas station when I was around 10 years old.... I remember the dinging sound of the bell that rang when the car drove over the black hose that rang the bell. My father, with a blue oil stained rag always in his back pocket, would go to the driver's side window and say " Filler up?" I would watch him wash their windows, check their oil, and pump their gas. I remember the smell of his clothes when he returned home. I remember those green stamps too, and actually I still have a book of them. Across the street from the Washington Grocery ( mentioned in my last post) was the M & H gas station. I always marveled at their business... they had a huge platform in between the gas pumps where they stacked those glasses, dishes, etc. that you spoke of. Those glasses were colored... red, green, yellow, and blue. When the sun shone on them they were so pretty... or so I thought back then.

    Andy... God must really have a special assignment for you... wounded in Nam, and the accident not so long ago. Thank you for your service, Andy... I mean that. My husband just missed the draft... they changed it the year he got his number... and his number was 2.

    Can anyone tell that I am just a bit bored, and am using this forum as a means to alleviate that?? Sorry if I am boring anyone with my musings...

    We are known as Slot Fanatics, but from my first day of being on here I felt a real deep connection to the people on here. If you remember you were the first one....
    Sure, we talk about gambling but always right under that surface is a concern and connection for our fellow human beings which is what keeps bringing us back, and that bond grows stronger with each return visit.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    475
    Likes (Given)
    2256
    Likes (Received)
    408
    Just announced by President Trump - the six foot rule will remain in effect until the end of April. I guess that will prevent the casinos from opening until at least then, huh?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central Minnesota..... 30 miles north of minneapolis
    Posts
    1,279
    Likes (Given)
    335
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettin Man View Post
    We are known as Slot Fanatics, but from my first day of being on here I felt a real deep connection to the people on here. If you remember you were the first one....
    Sure, we talk about gambling but always right under that surface is a concern and connection for our fellow human beings which is what keeps bringing us back, and that bond grows stronger with each return visit.
    I remember telling you how I did my bets on the "Reel Power" games. I still do it that way.... and last time I did... on Buffalo... I got a $270.00 line hit!! I REALLY would like it if, at some point, all of the people here that I have come to be friends with, or acquainted with, could meet in some location for a few days. Maybe the magic of this forum would dissolve.... but I really do love the people here.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,402
    Likes (Given)
    368
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Bettinman,
    I love everyone on this forum. Just like Steph said I would love to meet everyone on here. I did get to meet a few of you during the Coushatta meet but I want to meet everyone of you eventually.
    Everyone stay well.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,402
    Likes (Given)
    368
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Reading these stories brings back so many good memories. My dad was a bowler. He would go bowl on the weekends. For high scores and strikes they gave away green stamps. My dad won enough green stamps to buy our washing machine, dryer and refrigerator. My mom and I would spend the day licking green stamps and putting them in the books so we could go buy things with them at the green stamp store. We finally got a small bottle filled with water so we would not have to lick the stamps anymore.
    I have a beautiful collection of Depression glass that belonged to my husbands grandmother. It is the ruby red depression glass. My husband and I have added to the collection through the years. The glass is so pretty.
    We also have a .5 cent Coke machine that works great. There is nothing better than Coke in a glass bottle. It takes the 8 ounce size and Walmart still makes that size. Before my husband passed away he completely restored the pop machine. We were able to get the right color red paint and the stickers that go on the side. It opens up from the top.
    Thank you everyone for going down memory lane.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bethlehem, Pa.
    Posts
    1,459
    Likes (Given)
    2443
    Likes (Received)
    2453
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuda View Post
    Reading these stories brings back so many good memories. My dad was a bowler. He would go bowl on the weekends. For high scores and strikes they gave away green stamps. My dad won enough green stamps to buy our washing machine, dryer and refrigerator. My mom and I would spend the day licking green stamps and putting them in the books so we could go buy things with them at the green stamp store. We finally got a small bottle filled with water so we would not have to lick the stamps anymore.
    I have a beautiful collection of Depression glass that belonged to my husbands grandmother. It is the ruby red depression glass. My husband and I have added to the collection through the years. The glass is so pretty.
    We also have a .5 cent Coke machine that works great. There is nothing better than Coke in a glass bottle. It takes the 8 ounce size and Walmart still makes that size. Before my husband passed away he completely restored the pop machine. We were able to get the right color red paint and the stickers that go on the side. It opens up from the top.
    Thank you everyone for going down memory lane.

    Thank you Kuda for sharing your story with us. It is through these things that we come to know each other as something more than a name, and we see that we have so much in common with each other. In a casino, restaurant, or most public gatherings we would never share these things with strangers, but I don't see us as strangers here..

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central Minnesota..... 30 miles north of minneapolis
    Posts
    1,279
    Likes (Given)
    335
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuda View Post
    Reading these stories brings back so many good memories. My dad was a bowler. He would go bowl on the weekends. For high scores and strikes they gave away green stamps. My dad won enough green stamps to buy our washing machine, dryer and refrigerator. My mom and I would spend the day licking green stamps and putting them in the books so we could go buy things with them at the green stamp store. We finally got a small bottle filled with water so we would not have to lick the stamps anymore.
    I have a beautiful collection of Depression glass that belonged to my husbands grandmother. It is the ruby red depression glass. My husband and I have added to the collection through the years. The glass is so pretty.
    We also have a .5 cent Coke machine that works great. There is nothing better than Coke in a glass bottle. It takes the 8 ounce size and Walmart still makes that size. Before my husband passed away he completely restored the pop machine. We were able to get the right color red paint and the stickers that go on the side. It opens up from the top.
    Thank you everyone for going down memory lane.
    Kuda... have you taken up your father's tradition of bowling? I love bowling!! I am not good at it, but I am not that competitive, so just doing it with friends is such a blast!!

    I remember licking those stamps too, and needing to get them centered in those little dotted lines on the book page.

    Do you ever use your Depression glass? I was taught to "save the pretty things" for "good". Now, I see things differently.... use them. enjoy them!! My children do not want any of these things, so I am enjoying them now, rather than keeping them for "good". Each day is "good" to me now.

    I don't know WHAT it is, but everything tastes better out of glass!! I think coffee tastes the best out of a china cup.... don't know why, but it just does. Beer tastes best in a frosty chilled glass. Soda out of a glass bottle. Those old coke bottles... I remember as a kid getting an icy bottle of Coke out of one of those machines, and sliding it through a maze to get it to come out. The bottles were greenish, and around the edge of the bottle the glass was always scratched up. I loved the sound of the opener on the side of it... and sound of the fizz... the smell of that soda before it hit my mouth. I do not drink soda anymore, but I do remember those coke machines!! They don't make it any more, but my favorite back then was Black Cherry Soda... yum... then orange, and then root beer. I loved putting ice cream in each of them and turning that soda into an ice cream float. Thank you for sharing YOUR memories too.... so many of these stories have brought back memories that I have not thought about in 50 years. Now is the perfect time for a walk down memory lane. Times back then were easy. Slower... like now... may all of those parents and their children that are home together see the value in all of this..... the silver lining that we know exists.
    Last edited by steph; 03-30-2020 at 11:40 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member flyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,530
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    848
    Very interesting stories from all about a time long gone but well remembered. Thank you all!
    I bet you I can stop gambling!

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,402
    Likes (Given)
    368
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Steph,
    Yes, I used to bowl too. I was pretty good at it years ago. My average was around 260 to 270. I always wanted to bowl a prefect score of 300 but the closet I got was a 288. That happened on a bowling tournament. My dad and I used to bowl together in tournaments and we were on a father daughter bowling team. Years ago the bowling alley let you bowl for money. They had colored pins and if you got a strike with the colored pins you won money. My dad was an excellent bowler and he won quite a bit hitting the colored pins. I think the same bowling alley still has the colored pin bowling on some weekends. I am not 100% sure on that. Of course with the virus the bowling alleys are no longer open. I have not bowled in years. I am not sure I could bowl very well anymore. I may have to give it a try again after they reopen.
    As far as the depression glass we never used it. It is so nice we had a china cabinet that we displayed it in. It is a very pretty collection. My house is so small I will have to figure out a way to display it in the future.
    Bettinman,
    I agree no one here is a stranger. I consider all of you my friends. I hope we all can get back to regular life really soon.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bethlehem, Pa.
    Posts
    1,459
    Likes (Given)
    2443
    Likes (Received)
    2453
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuda View Post
    Steph,
    Yes, I used to bowl too. I was pretty good at it years ago. My average was around 260 to 270. I always wanted to bowl a prefect score of 300 but the closet I got was a 288. That happened on a bowling tournament. My dad and I used to bowl together in tournaments and we were on a father daughter bowling team. Years ago the bowling alley let you bowl for money. They had colored pins and if you got a strike with the colored pins you won money. My dad was an excellent bowler and he won quite a bit hitting the colored pins. I think the same bowling alley still has the colored pin bowling on some weekends. I am not 100% sure on that. Of course with the virus the bowling alleys are no longer open. I have not bowled in years. I am not sure I could bowl very well anymore. I may have to give it a try again after they reopen.
    As far as the depression glass we never used it. It is so nice we had a china cabinet that we displayed it in. It is a very pretty collection. My house is so small I will have to figure out a way to display it in the future.
    Bettinman,
    I agree no one here is a stranger. I consider all of you my friends. I hope we all can get back to regular life really soon.
    Kuda,

    You continue to amaze me. I bowled off and on for 20 years or so and NEVER even had a 200 game. Got to 199 about a million times but always choked at the end.. 260-270 average, Lord have Mercy...…
    I used to watch the Professional Bowlers on TV for years every Saturday afternoon. There was one man Earl Anthony who was legendary almost weekly and always cashed in.
    I bet you could still kick my butt if we bowled a game tomorrow...………….

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •