Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member Grid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    335
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    381

    Am I really a Loser?

    Usually this section has me bummed out. But I have been wondering if I'm really a "Loser".

    I lose more than I win. The math is set up for that to happen. But even when I lose, I rarely feel like a "Loser".

    I just booked a trip to Disney World for me, the wife and our 2 kids. We have been before, and everyone has fun, but those 5 days will end up costing us nearly $4,000 in flights, rooms, tickets and food. And that's before we buy a set of Mouse Ears.

    When we vacation in Las Vegas, flights cost half as much money for us. We stay at the finest resorts for fee. No charge to do the pools. Secret Gardens at Mirage, free. Shark Reef, free. High Roller, free. All of our family day time entertain is comped. All of our food is covered by resort credits. I'll usually spend my players club points in the gift shop for kids junk. And the casinos usually pick us up and drop us off from the airport. And I haven't booked a stay in town in God knows how long without at least $500-$800 in Free Play.

    I'll risk $1K each night on the slots. Some of that comes from my recycled Free Play, so not out of pocket. Some trips I win, and I get all this stuff for free. Some trips I might lose half of my money and rarely have I ever gone belly up. But the comps are always there for me.

    For the same 5 days in Vegas, I might drop $2K - $3K in the casino. But the rest of my vacation was covered. And my next vacation? That's comped as well there. Still half the price of Disney. And about equal to what we would pay for a week in Myrtle Beach. But a week at Myrtle Beach comes with zero chance of breaking even or winning.

    Am I still a "Loser" when I lose? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,086
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    851
    Casinos have spoiled us to the point of exactly what you're talking about. Whenever my husband and I eat out at a restaurant, I think I could have gotten this meal for free at my local thru my points.
    When I stayed at a hotel a while back (non casino), I thought I could have a much nicer hotel room for way less than I just paid thru my local..
    And on and on..
    Your kids are young and will enjoy disneyworld and will give you and your wife wonderful memories too.
    Overall, I agree with your point.. Money won or lost is only a fraction of what goes on.. It's the atmosphere, the comped incredible meals, the shows, etc..

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rich99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,475
    Likes (Given)
    9513
    Likes (Received)
    4308
    Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    I lose more than I win. The math is set up for that to happen. But even when I lose, I rarely feel like a "Loser".
    Good!! And that's the way it should be because you are Not a loser, You're a Winner in every sense of the word!! ..
    You take very good care of your family! After all, the Disney trips are not for you, they are for yours...
    My thoughts, just keep doing what you're doing because imo everything is "Right"! !
    Here with You! since 9/29/09

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    368
    Likes (Given)
    423
    Likes (Received)
    302
    Really good post. The comps here in CT are nothing like what you describe out west but if one plays wisely they are still pretty darn good. The rooms, especially at Mohegan, are beautiful and clean. Using points for fine dining,gas, shopping etc all ads up for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    Usually this section has me bummed out. But I have been wondering if I'm really a "Loser".

    I lose more than I win. The math is set up for that to happen. But even when I lose, I rarely feel like a "Loser".

    I just booked a trip to Disney World for me, the wife and our 2 kids. We have been before, and everyone has fun, but those 5 days will end up costing us nearly $4,000 in flights, rooms, tickets and food. And that's before we buy a set of Mouse Ears.

    When we vacation in Las Vegas, flights cost half as much money for us. We stay at the finest resorts for fee. No charge to do the pools. Secret Gardens at Mirage, free. Shark Reef, free. High Roller, free. All of our family day time entertain is comped. All of our food is covered by resort credits. I'll usually spend my players club points in the gift shop for kids junk. And the casinos usually pick us up and drop us off from the airport. And I haven't booked a stay in town in God knows how long without at least $500-$800 in Free Play.

    I'll risk $1K each night on the slots. Some of that comes from my recycled Free Play, so not out of pocket. Some trips I win, and I get all this stuff for free. Some trips I might lose half of my money and rarely have I ever gone belly up. But the comps are always there for me.

    For the same 5 days in Vegas, I might drop $2K - $3K in the casino. But the rest of my vacation was covered. And my next vacation? That's comped as well there. Still half the price of Disney. And about equal to what we would pay for a week in Myrtle Beach. But a week at Myrtle Beach comes with zero chance of breaking even or winning.

    Am I still a "Loser" when I lose? Thoughts?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    480
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    378
    I guess my question is....how much are you spending/losing to get all the "free" stuff?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,724
    Likes (Given)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    683
    You are fully aware that playing slots or any casino game for that matter is a negative expectation activity. Any player may get lucky, but over time the house always wins. We all know that and you do to -you said so much yourself in your post.

    So, to cut to the chase, no you are not a loser. You are an informed responsible player. I have been reading your posts and trip reports. Not once have you indicated that you really blew it this time, spending $ you could not afford to.

    Go to Disney and splurge a little. The memories will be happy ones and will stay with your family for a long time!
    By the way, I have spent more than $4k on Disney, inviting 10 family members 4 years ago and picking up the tab. It's only money. Good times are priceless.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rich99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,475
    Likes (Given)
    9513
    Likes (Received)
    4308
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    You are fully aware that playing slots or any casino game for that matter is a negative expectation activity. Any player may get lucky, but over time the house always wins. We all know that and you do to -you said so much yourself in your post.

    So, to cut to the chase, no you are not a loser. You are an informed responsible player. I have been reading your posts and trip reports. Not once have you indicated that you really blew it this time, spending $ you could not afford to.

    Go to Disney and splurge a little. The memories will be happy ones and will stay with your family for a long time!
    By the way, I have spent more than $4k on Disney, inviting 10 family members 4 years ago and picking up the tab. It's only money. Good times are priceless.
    Very Well Said!! ..
    Here with You! since 9/29/09

  8. #8
    Senior Member Grid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    335
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
    I guess my question is....how much are you spending/losing to get all the "free" stuff?
    Its in my original post. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. If I put a true average loss for 5 days I might drop $2K - $3K in the casino the way I play. But that gets me all this stuff for "free". If it was not for the comps, I would not gamble.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Grid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    335
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    381
    Great posts gang! I'm glad to see other people have the same views on this. No one wants to lose. And if you are constantly going to your locals with a $5.00 free play voucher and dropping $250 each time for nothing. That is sort of Losery if you ask me.

    But if you can back up your play with enough comps to offset something else, I don't consider losing your stake to make you a loser.

    I do 80% of all my gambling on vacation. And vacations are never free. But if we vacation where I play, even with losing thousands of dollars, its actually a bargain for us.

    If i wanted to take the wife to downtown Chicago, stay at an OK property for the night. Grab a Broadway show and eat diner, I'm out $500. If the two of us book my free suite at the locals, use a meal credit, have a nights worth of entertain on the machines and sleep in a free room. That's $500 as well. Or maybe, just maybe, its free or we win something.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    368
    Likes (Given)
    423
    Likes (Received)
    302
    plus its fun to gamble too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    Its in my original post. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. If I put a true average loss for 5 days I might drop $2K - $3K in the casino the way I play. But that gets me all this stuff for "free". If it was not for the comps, I would not gamble.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •