Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Varmint the cat has fleas!

Poor Varmint who is an indoor cat has fleas. I talked to my vet's office and they recommend a topical over the counter called cheristin and an oral pill that is prescription only called comfortis. Both are not cheap. I have heard the topical lotion you put on the neck has bad side efects sometimes and there is no way she will take a pill. They do not recommend grinding up the pill so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with their kitty. I wonder if there is a capsule form of something that I could sprinkle in her food?
    Thanks.
    VARMINT....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You need to MAKE her swallow the pill. It's for her own good and if you put it way back in her throat and hold her mouth shut, she will swallow it. Flavoring it with a little dab of canned food will make it more attractive if you can do that.
    We gave our yellow lab a comfortis-type flea preventative (diff brand) every month all her life (she loved it, so no problems getting her to eat it). No fleas ever.
    You have to make her take it. Fleas are nasty!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If the cat is strictly indoors, you have no other pets - how did she get infested with fleas?

My kitty never goes outdoors (except on the balcony - but that really doesn't count) and I have no other pets.
    He's never gotten fleas.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelma View Post
    You need to MAKE her swallow the pill. It's for her own good and if you put it way back in her throat and hold her mouth shut, she will swallow it. Flavoring it with a little dab of canned food will make it more attractive if you can do that.
    We gave our yellow lab a comfortis-type flea preventative (diff brand) every month all her life (she loved it, so no problems getting her to eat it). No fleas ever.
    You have to make her take it. Fleas are nasty!
    Thanks Thelma but we are talking about a cat who is OCD. She is terrified of everything and with very long claws. If we tried that we would need stiches and she would never come out from under the bed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Slot Fanatics mobile app
    VARMINT....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookkyy View Post
    If the cat is strictly indoors, you have no other pets - how did she get infested with fleas?

My kitty never goes outdoors (except on the balcony - but that really doesn't count) and I have no other pets.
    He's never gotten fleas.
    What does your cat never getting fleas have to do with my question? My effing cat has fleas. I guess I could post a picture of one. I have enough on the flea comb that's for sure!

VARMINT....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Years ago when I had a cat I would use a flea collar.. Maybe they don't do these anymore??
    As to the immediate concern with the long claws and ocd, is there any kind of a shot a vet could give instead of the pills to kill fleas?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mice, birds, squirrels, whatever, they all have fleas. Fleas can come inside a place on anyone, but Id think, usually from mice that may sneak in.

Giving a cat a pill is so easy. The vet gives you a little plastic thing about two inches long. One end holds the pill, then a shaft pushes out when you press that dislodges the pill. Just shove it forcefully in the back of the cats mouth, pop the pill, and keep the cats mouth closed until you see them swallow. Check the mouth to make sure it was swallowed.
    That's all folks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Besides medicine, you need to do a lot of vacuuming, and washing your blankets , anywhere your cat sleeps.
    That's all folks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try Frontline, cured my cat of feas in a couple weeks. Once those fleas get in your carpet and upholstery you're screwed. They multiply like crazy and you'll need to fumigate your whole house, which is expensive, plus you all will have to spend a day or two in a motel until it's safe to go back into your home!
    Last edited by merlot_1; 03-21-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    What does your cat never getting fleas have to do with my question? My effing cat has fleas. I guess I could post a picture of one. I have enough on the flea comb that's for sure!

I didn't mean any disrespect or to detract from your OP and apologize if I offended.

I'm just curious as to how an indoor cat got fleas so I can make sure it doesn't happen to mine.