Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do bad blackjack players help or hurt you?

Last weekend, I played blackjack at Taj Mahal in AC. My first session on Saturday night was at a $15 table with 3 other players, 2 of them were bad players. By bad, I mean they were playing totally against basic strategy. Almost every hand, they would hit when they should have stood, or stand when they should have hit, and I'm not talking about close calls either. Here are some examples- hit 14 vs dealer 6, stand on ace 5 (I don't remember what dealer upcard was, but it doesn't matter. You would NEVER stand on ace 5, it's 16, the worst hand possible). The other guy stood on 12 vs dealer 10. The dealer busted and this guy started bragging that he was the best blackjack player in AC!!! After I figured out that these guys were not basic strategy players, I kept track of how their bad play affected the game. Half the time, the bad play helped the dealer and hurt the players. The other half, it helped the players and hurt the dealer. This was a small sample size and results will vary, but it seems like when we encounter bad players, we only remember the times when the bad play hurts, not when it helps. I ended up +140 for this session.
    Last edited by Dougray2; 12-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From what I understand, it really doesn't matter. There will be an equal amount of times where the bad players help and hurt the other players at the table. You are correct in that you always remember when it hurts you, but I recall reading in a gaming magazine that over the long run there is no difference.

It does seem like though most serious players will get up and leave a table where someone doesn't play right, but I think their belief is it hurts them. You ended up winning so obviously it didn't hurt you at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it bothers you, always sit at third base or don't play. Of course people patly say it doesn't matter and mathematically it doesn't. If you have a $200 bet compared to a normal $10 bet, you can easily say you wouldn't or would have won and it affects you for the moment just because someone else wouldn't or would have done something differently. I like third base so I can see more cards and sometimes get to see the dealers hole card.
    Last edited by onenickelmiracle; 11-30-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    That's all folks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It will drive you crazy but it doesn't matter. I have also seen some crazy stuff. I have talked to many dealers and most of them will tell you that in the long run it doesn't matter much. But it will drive you crazy if "they take the bust card" and stuff like that. Best thing is to move to a table where people have a clue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It really doesn't bother me that much, but some of the plays these guys made really surprised me. Usually, AC blackjack players are more serious than other places like Tunica and Vegas, and they will call you out if you go against basic strategy. I usually won't say anything unless a players asks for my advice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    According to the wizard of odds, statistically it doesn't really matter.
    What does matter is your playing experience. If it pisses you off, frustrates you, etc. you can always find another BJ game.
    If it makes your gambling experience unpleasurable, find another table.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep, see this all the time. It is funny watching people playing basic strategy, and those who are playing for fun on the same table. They are butting heads with each other. Groans and all. I have heard that it really does not matter in the end, as the number of the decks increase the odds. I personally stay clear from automated card shufflers. Unfortunately, they are so common now :( Remember the days of stopping every now and then and helping to cut the cards? Good times....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbsocalif View Post
    Yep, see this all the time. It is funny watching people playing basic strategy, and those who are playing for fun on the same table. They are butting heads with each other. Groans and all. I have heard that it really does not matter in the end, as the number of the decks increase the odds. I personally stay clear from automated card shufflers. Unfortunately, they are so common now :( Remember the days of stopping every now and then and helping to cut the cards? Good times....
    This was an 8 deck shoe game. I don't like continuous shufflers either, but they are becoming more prevalent. I think it does even out in the end, bad play can either help or hurt you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I agree that it doesn't matter what other people at the table do in the long run. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt. I prefer to play with people who don't know basic strategy for two reasons: 1) it makes the game more interesting and 2) they generally have the better attitudes and are just there to have fun.

Personally, I prefer the continuous shuffling machines because the loudmouths usually don't play them and they have slightly better odds for basic strategy players. If I'm looking to make a night of it, I'll look for a hand shuffled game because it slows down play, but if I'm just there to win a certain amount and risk a certain amount, I'd rather play a CSM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know that statistically it doesn’t matter
    I know that it’s just my brain remembering the times that it hurt me more often than any time it ever helped me, but I seethe inside when I’m playing blackjack with people who “play stupid” (or play drunk and stupid)
    I play to have fun, yes, but I’d also like to win… and EVEN THOUGH I consciously know that their play does not affect mine… I still can’t help but get annoyed.

I would rather walk away than sit and get angry… so that’s usually what I do. If I bump up to a higher limit table I’m probably less likely to encounter people who have no clue, but I just don’t have that kind of bankroll to play