Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    @Acklafan, thank you for your input, the sad thing is, there will still be people that are so blinded by hatred for unions, they dont even understand what really happens....that is, until it happens to them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...-went-bankrupt

most importantly is the part where its titles "Poor management"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is first I'm hearing of this. Someone help me out-

If the employees don't like it there, why don't they go get a job somewhere else?
    "You don't have to be lonely...at Farmers Only dot com"

Slot videos for the Common Man: http://www.youtube.com/user/theyerts...e=results_main

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by treyster View Post
    This is first I'm hearing of this. Someone help me out-

If the employees don't like it there, why don't they go get a job somewhere else?
    Good point Trey! Wal-Mart is one of the biggest employers in our area. It's not a dream job, but they pay more than the local grocery chain does and I know several friends who work there. I talked to my friend's mom who is a manager there (and makes good money for the area) and she wouldn't be surprised that they just fire all the people who strike and rehire more. Wal-Mart is what it is, but it's steady work and they aren't going anywhere soon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recall reading that six Walton heirs have more wealth than the bottom 30% of all U.S. workers. I have never shopped there,but reading this seals the deal for me. Sad,really sad. They can afford to pay better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't care for boycotts. I don't think we should participate in harming one of our largest employers. Even though I detest shopping, I will shop there that day. I encourage all those who value freedom and who refuse to be intimidated to do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotspert View Post
    Just remember what Hostess did to answer to their their Union represented workers!
    Just remember what Roanld Reagan did to all the Air Traffic Controllers in the early 80's.
    Quote Originally Posted by CennPennTraveler View Post
    Good point Trey! Wal-Mart is one of the biggest employers in our area. It's not a dream job, but they pay more than the local grocery chain does and I know several friends who work there. I talked to my friend's mom who is a manager there (and makes good money for the area) and she wouldn't be surprised that they just fire all the people who strike and rehire more. Wal-Mart is what it is, but it's steady work and they aren't going anywhere soon.
    You got it right CPT !!!! Thats exactly the new reality in this new era we live in !!! Well said...

This reply post has been stamped and verified with Slotspert's:
    Slotspert is looking for Jacques Potts- where are you?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    moneybags, i would like to know what you consider harming a large employer? do you think that people work their butts off deserve the opportunity for retirement, health insurance, a decent wage? for all these people who have great jobs, try living in todays world on 9 bucks an hour. for 40 hrs thats 360 before taxes. so about 280. you live on 280 a week and see how that gets you. you do that for awhile and you would not be siding on a company that makes billions in profits, and pays execs millions of dollars to put in a store somewhere that will put small businesses out on the street.

i applaud people that are willing to sacrifice to stand on their principles and take the risk to stand up to the big co. isnt that what freedom is all about, and for those that are satisfied being a manager. what about the people that are at cash registers on their feet for hours at a time. also CPT as your friends mom if they have it so the employees work only 36 hours a week so they dont have to pay full time benefits.

one of my best friends got fired for clocking out 2 minutes late and they had to pay overtime.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll put another spin on this- (as far as Walmart hurting small businesses)
    I personally don't really like Walmart myself, stores are crowded, check out is long, etc though I don't have an issue with them, other than they aren't my favorite place to shop. I do prefer going to Target though, but that's just me.

I however lease shopping centers and when a Walmart is announced as the anchor for that property, I get calls from lots of mom and pop businesses who want to lease space next door, more so than on any other properties. They feed off of all of the customers and exposure because like them or not Walmart brings in a lot of people. It actually really helps their businesses, and they will even pay a premium rent to be near them.

Has Walmart put some mom and pops out of business- sure, but only in a situation where they were trying to compete directly with them. This happens just as much with Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, Staples, etc...
    What actually hurts the mom and pop retailers more than anything is actually online shopping- these small stores can't compete with the no sales tax, etc. There isn't any reason anymore for a small specialty shop to be in business now when you can shop online with better pricing, with the exception of restaurants and services, which prefer to be located by a Walmart.

As for some areas of country like California not having many Walmarts- thats because of a combination of lack of large parcels of land being available and cities passing anti-walmart ordinances. These are funded by the grocery unions, trying to keep out competition to their unionized retailers.
    Last edited by kdk; 11-19-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anytime you have a store that is selling items for less than a competitor and still is making money; most likely it's coming off the employee's backs. I rarely
    shop at Walmart anymore as I just feel too guilty most of the time.