Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The true walk of shame

I was truly on the fence on whether or not I wanted to share this truly disastrous day but as we are all gamblers we most likely have all hit bottom at some point to put our hobby into true perspective.

Last Thursday I had decided to attend the first day of the card player circuit event at Choctaw in Oklahoma. DW and I had agreed that my budget was the $350 buy in for the first tournament and $500 for extra gambling. In exchange for the budget I had to relinquish all forms of currency exchange other than cash(smartest woman on the planet I am married too). The day started out mediocre as I played poker for the first two hours with no big swing one way or the other going in to the first fifteen minute break. My original plan was to grab a sandwich and snack during the breaks to keep my attention at full awareness. Sadly I am sucker for the flashing lights and decided to donate about $200 of my money to various machines. I even lost track of time and made it back to the table about 7 minutes late!

Sadly this is where I let my frustration from poor choices(not eating, and focusing on slot losses) take a toll on my poker focus. All in twice on poor decisions led me to being knocked out. And with 300 left in the budget I faced a dilemma. There was a 5pm $220 tournament that was going to fire up in a couple of hours which I felt was the right choice since I was in the mood to play poker all day(tournament mentality). Or give my one armed bandit friends another round.

I am sure you all can guess which dreadful decision I made and down went the 300 in a fast and frustrating fashion. At this point the wallet is empty, it's about 4:15 and I am still regretting not saving the money to play the 5:00 pm tournament. The drive back to dallas is a solid 80 minutes without traffic and with rush hour I couldn't imagine.

I drag my legs into the car and breath a heavy sigh for the punishment of bumper to bumper that laid ahead. Sadly after 15 minutes on the road I did the worst walk of shame possible, I looked up the closest branch of our bank and pulled into ten minutes to close. Ran in gave them the drivers license to pull up the account and made a non ATM withdrawal for $500. I think walked out of that bank with my head hung so low I could I have played soccer with it.

Needless to say I signed up for the poker tournament and busted after a fee hours and dumped the rest of the money on the craps table(only fitting to end the night that way).

The day was long and the drive home at night was even longer it felt. I made it home close to 2:00 am without eating lunch or dinner, and so wired I couldn't sleep. It was truly a tough beat.

(Epilogue: this week helped turned mine and the wife's mood around with a great session that I will post later. And as a further note I now know to never go without her as she is my lucky charm and source of reason!)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unfortunately been there done that.
    Where are you Mrs. Gottrocks?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Same here - tired, hungry, not sticking to the "plan" - at least you've got insight into what went wrong and congrats on acknowledging your Lucky Charm! Looking forward to reading the made-a-comeback happier tale!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been told before if you're not a liar, you're not a gambler. Hence, you went to the bank. Been there done that 20x worse.
    That's all folks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb1486 View Post
    Unfortunately been there done that.
    Ditto, and got the t-shirt too... :-(

Thanks for the honesty, I can think of worse things, but validate your pain.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes unfortunately I have to agree with the others and have done something similar. I do think the ability to be honest is a major key to keeping gambling a form of entertainment only. While good stretches happen (hey that's what keeps us going back), I'm more skeptical about those who claim to never ever lose. I'm looking forward to reading about the good trip you had with your dw afterwards.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's always great to hear people tell the truth of what happens to us all, in some cases at not such a loss of funds but in other cases much worse. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to hear of the great trip you had.

Ang

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes we all get slaughtered every now & then, but the good news is your tale had a happy ending!!
    I really like your writing style!!
    Here with You! since 9/29/09

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry about the walk of shame. Unfortunately, most of us have been there. When tired and hungry (and obsessed with getting a win), we don't always make the best decisions. You've learned your lesson and hopefully don't repeat it. Looking forward to the comeback story.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich99 View Post
    Yes we all get slaughtered every now & then, but the good news is your tale had a happy ending!!
    I really like your writing style!!
    Yep☺️