Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember when..

For all you seniors out there, feel free to share anything that you remember from the good old days. Should be fun.
    I'll start with a few for today and will be posting something new every day of the week, so stay tuned if you loved the 50s and 60s
    Those huge radios before TV

When EVERYBODY smoked, including your doctor

Drivers Education Class in High School

Those toy soldiers

The Hamm's Beer Bear

When Passenger trains were beautiful!

Falstaff Beer

15 cent Hamburgers!
    Last edited by goldengreeke; 05-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I guess I must be a young senior, because the only thing on here that I remember is the Hamms beer commercials. Most of the other stuff was before my time. Oh, and we had real cars in driver's ed. The toy soldiers were still around when my kids were little, in the '80s, probably still around now.
    Zoom zoom!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm too young to remember but a lot of doctors and nurses still smoke.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I guess I'm one of the young seniors, too!! I do remember seeing some of the old radios, but never had one. We had a big console AM/FM radio with a record player. Probably 6 to 8 feet long and three feet high. It was furniture!! We did have a big console TV, too. Black and white, of course. I remember the first time I ever saw color TV! It was amazing to me for some reason. I do remember the cig commercials. We had a drive in that sold hamburgers for 5 cents. I had many of those green toy soldiers as a child!! We divided them up and rolled marbles at the other side to "kill" the other soldiers! Driver's Ed was similar to that, but located in a mobile trailer.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LMAO! They didn't know! The irritation was the least thing they should have been worried about.
    "Yes doctor, my cigarettes are irritating my throat, what do you recommend" "Switch to Luckies!"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by CennPennTraveler View Post

LMAO! They didn't know! The irritation was the least thing they should have been worried about.
    "Yes doctor, my cigarettes are irritating my throat, what do you recommend" "Switch to Luckies!"
    Back in those days if you had a what they called a "smokers cough," the doctors would just tell you to switch brands, never mention that you should quit lol.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I remember when.....you could buy a TV, take it home plug it in and it worked! No programming it or the remote!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You got me by a few years, I don't remeber the radios before TV. Had an uncle that worked for Zenith and when they first introduced remotes he invited a bunch of people to his house for supper one evening then everybody crowed in the living room to watch the remote demonstration.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I do remember everybody smoked. In the Army all the C rations had little packs of cigarettes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I remember when the television went off the air for the night after they played the national anthem.

I remember when cartoons were only on Saturdays.

I remember when we had a party line. The was when several families shared the same telephone line. You had a unique ring to listen for, and you could hear other people's conversations if you picked up on the wrong ring.

I remember all my friends chipping in for gas money so we could "bomb town". Don't worry. We were not blowing anything up. This just meant that we would ride around our little town of Beaverton for the entire evening. That was our big entertainment, and we could do it on $5.00 worth of gas. It took about 2 minutes to complete a full circle around town.

I remember going to the movie for 40 cents, and getting popcorn for 10 cents.

I remember these McDonald's commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHbY3VdaoPQ
    Last edited by Suze1000; 05-19-2014 at 11:40 PM.