Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4 to a Royal Question

Lets say you are playing video poker and you are dealt 4 to a royal. Once you have saved the 4 cards, is the outcome predetermined or does the timing of the redeal make any difference? All facts, opinions, and observations welcome. I asked this question at one of the tours we took at the Las Vegas m&g but was not in agreement with their answer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    my guess is that your "fate" happens when you hit the button. I don't think it is pre-determined from the first spin. I believe each spin is independent. I don't think it could be determined on the first spin because the computer doesn't know what cards you are going to hold.
    But the game never ends
    when your whole world depends
    On the turn of a friendly card

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    By Las Vegas standards, it has to be random.
    That's all folks!

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's 3 theories.

1. After you are dealt 5 cards the RNG is shuffling the other 47 cards waiting on your discard so it can pick whatever number of cards you ditch.

2. On your initial deal, 10 cards are selected and 5 are shown on the screen, you choose which to discard and the number of cards you discard will show up in the order they were initially selected by the RNG.

3. 5 pairs of cards stacked on top of each are selected on the initial deal, whatever cards you discard would be replaced by the card underneath.

I've read in the past that IGT uses theory 2 but all the VP pages seem to think it's theory 1 now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it was during the Bally's tour when I asked this question. Their response was that it does not matter how much time you take before you hit redeal. You could hit it in stride or you could wait 5 minutes. It seemed to me that their position was that once the initial 5 cards were dealt, outside of holding the proper 4 cards, there was nothing you could do to affect the outcome of the second deal. I know Bally's makes some video poker machines so maybe this is something specific with the machines that they make.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure I buy theory #2. Because then basic strategy would be out the door. Because if their is a card underneath each card, and it is predetermined I think the math goes out the window.

Then it becomes more of a slot machine. The odds posted are for straight up poker.
    But the game never ends
    when your whole world depends
    On the turn of a friendly card

Closed by Request
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    James, it sounds like what we were told was #2, but in my heart of hearts I want to believe it is #1.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Earlier video poker machines handled the shuffling and dealing of the cards under methods #2 and #3. The switch to method #1 was made out of necessity after crafty/cheating teams figured out an exploit in which they were able to take a given deal of 5 cards and then determine what other 5 cards would be eligible to show up on the draw. All three methods would have visually looked the same to the ordinary VP player.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you to everyone for replying to this thread. It seems we are all in agreement that after the initial 5 cards are drawn the remaining 47 cards are constantly shuffling. So hitting your button for the redeal at the exact millisecond would make a big difference. Since IGT is the largest mfg. of video poker machines I think I will give them a call next week and see what they have to say.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Not sure I buy theory #2. Because then basic strategy would be out the door. Because if their is a card underneath each card, and it is predetermined I think the math goes out the window.

Then it becomes more of a slot machine. The odds posted are for straight up poker.
    To me, the method they use makes no difference. Say I have four to a royal and I draw one card hoping to get the card I need. I have a 1 in 47 chance no matter the method used to select that card. Even if the next card coming was already selected....who cares....I still don't know what's coming....and I still have a 1 in 47 chance.